Currently, we are not taking in-person school field trip reservations for the 2020-2021 school year due to the coronavirus pandemic. If you would like to visit us in person and have a small group (such as a homeschool group or small class), we do offer private planetarium reservations Tuesday-Friday at 9:45am. You can find more information about reserving private shows at this link.
We are also excited to announce virtual field trips beginning in September 2020. Our virtual field trips are an innovative new solution that allows us to stream the planetarium to YOU, using the same Nightshade NG planetarium software that we use in our facility. The virtual field trip is a 30-45 minute presentation, hosted live by one of our trained planetarium educators who is able to guide you through the lesson and interact with you and your students just as if you were visting us in person.
About Virtual Field Trips
- 30-45 minute long, live and interactive planetarium program
- Streamed to your device(s) using the Zoom platform
- Uses the same planetarium software used in our dome theater
- Able to cover a variety of earth and space science concepts, such as: constellations/night sky, sun-earth-moon system, moon phases, planets and the solar system, geology, and MORE
- Stable internet connection with ability to use Zoom required for live and interactive field trip
- Live and interactive streaming programs available during school hours (Mon-Fri 8am-3pm Central Time)
- Pre-recorded shows created just for your class are an option for those requesting programs outside of school hours or unable to use Zoom
Who can participate in a virtual field trip?
- Virtual field trips can be used in the classroom by a teacher who uses their computer with a projector to display the lesson to the entire class, or with a classroom of students who each use their own device to connect to the presentation.
- Lessons are tailored to meet your educational goals for earth & space science content of state/national standards at any grade level K-12
- Great for homeschool or at-home learning students. Can be reserved for a homeschool group or private at-home lesson.
- Community events, scouting groups, and more
- Anyone interested in learning more about the universe!
What does a virtual field trip look like?
- Check out a sneak peek of what a virtual field trip can look like
Steps to reserving a virtual field trip
- Lead teacher will submit an online reservation request form at this link
- Our scheduling coordinator will be in contact with you to confirm your reservation
- One week prior to your virtual field trip, we will schedule a "practice" Zoom meeting to make sure you are comfortable with using the Zoom platform
Security and Interacting During the Field Trip
- You will receive a dedicated, password protected Zoom link for your scheduled virtual field trip
- All visitors will initially be placed in the Zoom waiting room, prior to the start of the field trip. Teachers/Instructors will help approve all students signing in to the virtual field trip.
- Students' mics will be muted by the host. Students will be able to interact with the planetarium educator (i.e. asking and answering question) by using the monitored chat room.
- Classroom teachers/instructors will serve as co-moderators of their students' chats and interactions during the virtual field trip
Private show screenings are limited to a total of 15 visitors (students and adults)
Virtual field trips can accomodate up to 50 students (or 2 classrooms) for each live session.
- Private show screening is $25 for up to 15 visitors
- Virtual field trips are $25 for a 30-45 minute program for up to 50 students. (No student limit for pre-recorded shows)
- Payment is processed through our website. After confirmation, you will receive a direct link to the payment website. Payment is due 24 hours prior to the confirmed program time. Failure to provide timely payment will result in the cancellation or rescheduling of your program, pending availability.
Ready to reserve your virtual field trip?
- Complete the online reservation form
- If you have any additional questions, please contact us at (903)510-2312, or firstname.lastname@example.org